Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Fathers Speak…,
Christmas Homily - St. John Chrisostom
What shall I say? And how shall I describe this birth to you? The Eternal One has become an infant. He who sits upon the sublime and heavenly throne now lies in the manger. For this He assumed my body, that I may become capable of His word, taking my form He gives me His spirit, and so, He bestowing and I receiving, He prepares me for the treasure of life. He takes my form to sanctify me. He gives me His spirit, that he may save me.
St. John Chrisostom
...true humility does not consist in speaking humbly, or in looking humble. The humble person does not have to force himself to think humbly, nor does he keep finding fault with himself. Such conduct may provide us with an occasion for humility or constitute its outward form, but humility itself is a grace and a divine gift."
St. Gregory of Sinai

Prayer is a ladder leading up to God; for there is nothing more powerful than prayer. There is no sin which cannot be forgiven by means of prayers, and there is no sentence of punishment which it cannot undo.
There is no revelation which does not have prayer as its cause, and there are no types of symbols which prayer cannot interpret.
Anonymous, from The Syrian Fathers on Prayer

Blessed is the man who realizes his weakness, for this knowledge becomes the foundation, the root and the beginning of every boon. For as soon as a man understands and truly feels his weakness, he immediately puts a restraint on the vain pride of his soul which obscures reason, and thus he gains protection.
St. Isaac the Syrian